Sunday, September 6, 2009

Today was a day of fishing villages and architecture. Tucker, Abbie and I left early – around 8:30 for a day trip down the lighthouse route to several small quaint villages established in the 1600s. Mahone Bay is a seaport with tiny old houses and lovely shops. ate a HUGE bowl of mussels cooked in white wine with scallions for lunch. The bowl of empty shells told the story! I am now quite a fan. Both times I’ve had them, cooked very differently were excellent. Going on around the coast we came to Lunenburg – a larger shipping port with huge mansion-like houses still standing from the 1600s. the architecture was impressive. Several inns are still open today that were established in the early days. Tucker and Abbie got a visit to a pet boutique for some baked peanut butter treats and walked nicely throughout the streets. We didn’t get back until 5:30 p.m. and I sat and enjoyed the evening sun on the ocean. Later, I visited the memorial to the crash of the Swissair plane that went down at Peggy’s Cove in 1998. it was impressive. The dogs climbed all over the rocks just before dark. The only environmental drawback that I have found to Atlantic Canada is the mosquito. The come in droves at dusk and bite like crazy! I have chunks eaten out of me! They are worse than in Houston!

Here is a picture of the 2nd oldest church still holding regular services in North America. The oldest is in Quebec City – I saw it last year on my cruise. Isn’t this beautiful? It is an Anglican church. The next picture is of a boatcrafter building a wooden whaling boat and the third is of one of the houses in Lunenburg.

Each day is full of new experiences and new friends. Today, my next door neighbors are from Ottawa and have been traveling for seven weeks. I’m jealous! I just have one more long stop before I start heading back west and south. Digby and the Annapolis valley is my last destination in the Canadian maritimes.

Hopefully, the heat will have lessened and Texas will be out of the hard heat of summer by the time I return.

Well, the pictures won't upload - I'll have to try later.

No comments:

Post a Comment